Velocity 2010: Philip Tellis, “Latency: Why You Should Worry and What Up You Can Do About It”
Latency: Why You Should Worry and What Up You Can Do About It
Philip Tellis, Yahoo! Inc.
2010 Velocity Conference
June 22-24, 2010
(15 min, 40 sec)
Here are my notes from watching the presentation:
- Bandwidth is easy – It is not the problem…
- Bandwidth vs. Latency – How bad is it?
- More resources on a page, latency more of a problem
- It’s Still the Latency, Stupid http://www.stuartcheshire.org/rants/latency.html
What to Do About Latency?
- How did CPUs solve latency? Cache, Parallelise, Predict
- These apply to the web as well…
- Pre-fetch content is a way to predict
How to measure?
- Announcing Boomerang http://github.com/yahoo/boomerang
- Measures page load time from the unload of the last page to this page is loaded
- Measures bandwidth
- Measures latency
- Include a script on the page, include a beacon on your server to send the data…
- BSD license